Re: clearcoat paint?

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: clearcoat paint?
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:25:44 -0400
> Boyd Coddington, of considerable Hot Rod fame, was once interviewed
> and
> responded to a question on paint. He said he doesn't use clearcoat on
> his cars, given a choice, so that the car can be driven. Stone chips
> and
> such that appear on a car can be easily touched up and resprayed if
> the
> car is lacking clearcoat. With clearcoat, the small respray will sit
> on
> top of the clear coat and the color shift gives pretty poor results.

I guess my biggest worry is with the chipping.  My '93 Civic has lots of
chips (and even got keyed down the hood--egad) that can't be fixed
without respraying the whole hood and fenders.  I priced the hood and a
couple of big chips in the bumpers and a fender for about $500!  Is
there a type of paint that has similar high-gloss, but with less
maintenance?  The only paint I know comes in a little bottle from
Wal-Mart that has a ball you can rattle around in it.  Oh, and paint
that goes on with a roller!  Don't think latex is the way to go.

> IMHO ... go with Acrylic Urethane.

Is this what i should use?  Since I am not going to risk doing this
myself, it would be nice going into the paint shop with at least SOME
knowledge!  Thanks!

J. Adrian Barnes
adrian@utk.edu
adrian@icx.net