Re: Midget Carb Options

To: Benjamin Bouchard <BenjamB@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Midget Carb Options
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 12:36:17 -0400
Benjamin Bouchard wrote:

> I have a '76 Midget with California Carb setup.  Most of the smog "stuff" is
> now gone (air pump etc.) and the car usually runs nice.  I have rebuilt the
> Zenith - Stromborg carb twice to improve starting but the improvement is
> always short lived.
>
> I am considering converting to a Weber downdraft for ease of starting and
> running.  Both Moss and Victoria British have $500 conversion kits.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Does anyone have any experience with these kits?  Anything you would do
> differently?  What did you find that was unexpected?
> 2. Is there any option short of $500?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben Bouchard
> '76 Midget
> BenjamB@MSN.com

Ben-

I have a Weber downdraft on my 77B, also a replacement for the dreaded
Zenith-Stromberg.  You will likely get many opinions from the list,
ranging from keeping the Z-S, to dual S.U.'s to a Weber or Del'Orto side
draught (and probably a few others too!)  FWIW I like the performace of
my Weber, and the reduced maintenance.

$500 is too much money for a Weber downdraught kit.  I bought mine from
Northwest Imports, and paid around $325 for a manual carb type.  They
also carry Midget parts, so I would suggest you give them a try if you
decide to go with the Weber.

Regards,

Chris Delling