Re: Pirelli tire pressure

To: barry@fountain.net
Subject: Re: Pirelli tire pressure
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 13:22:54 -0500
Barry:

Well, a funny thing happened on the way to Chanute...

I've always run my 195/60R15 Pirelli P6s with 24 in the front and 28 in
the back of my 1969 CGT. Always had. Seemed to handle great. Slow speed
turning builds lots of arm strength, however.

So I'm off to the high-speed run in Chanute. While doing the pre-flight,
I think, what the hell, lets pump up the tires. So I put 36 in the front
and 40 in the back.

Wow! Slow speed manuverabilty is much improved, handling is much more
crisp, and the ride did not deterioate a noticeable degree. I think I'll
just leave them this way.

On the other side of the coin, my P6s have about 75% of their tread used
up and the wear has been very even all around -- at the lower pressure
settings.

So it's your tires and your money. Try it and see what you think. BTW --
the higher pressures in the back are to counteract the oversteer
tendencies of the C/GT. I'd stick with whatever front/rear ratio you've
been happy with. But I would definately suggest trying a higher tire
pressure and see what you think.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT (103MPH), '75TR6(91MPH)
PS: Thanks for re-upping to KCMGCC