Rebuilding trans/steering rack

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rebuilding trans/steering rack
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 14:11:18 -0700
I now have three steering racks for my '78 Midget and a extra
transmission for my '72 Midget.

I want to make one really good rack, and one spare. Is there anything
in particular that I should check for with the racks off the car?
(other than the usual stuff).

This trans I got is supposedly rebuilt, but I want to make sure.
Are there any tell tale clues?
The trans is very clean and the visible seals look new, plus it had
a new rubber mount. I don't want to rebuild it if it doesn't need it,
but I take a junkmans word only so far.....

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"