Re: Nology "Hot Wires"

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Nology "Hot Wires"
From: Steve Darby <elan@highfiber.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:07:34 -0700
Shane F. Ingate wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         Has anyone used Nology "Hot Wires"?  For those who know what these
>are,
> Nology make plug wires with a built-in capacitor.  The resulting spark in the
> plug is of extremely short duration (compared with the slow-duration MSD
>spark,
> eg) and of a much higher temperature than conventional hi-tech ignition
> systems.  Nology claims that the long-duration (1-3 millisecond) sparks are
>lost at
> rpms greater than 2000 (because the piston has risen to, and gone way past TDC
> while the plug is still sparking.  Nology claims that their hot short-duration
> (4 nanosecond) spark provides spot-on hot sparking over the whole rev range.
>
>         San Diego Panteras had a guest speaker from Nology 2 years ago.  It
>was
> a fascinating talk.  Nology claim 2-5% more horsepower just by changing your
> plug leads.  If their claims are correct, thats a lot of cheap horsepower.
> Nology have a web-site now at http://nology.com.  Prices start at $150
> (I think) for a 4-banger.
>
>         The application I am thinking about is for my Triumph TR6, where
> I really want an ignition improvement for starting and low-mid rev
> range (2000-4500 rpm).  I have a MSD 6-AL on my Pantera and it starts
> INSTANTLY!  I want this kind of reliability in the Triumph too, but
> am examining all options (including Roger Bolick's Ignitor pointless-system,
> and combinations of Ignitor-MSD-Nology-Lucas Sports coil components).
>
>         My own research out on the web shows that Nology "Hot Wires" are
>pretty
> popular among the kids who "race" modern Japanese cars, but none of them
>attest
> to whether they actually notice a difference.  Sometimes I suspect them of
> catalog shopping for stickers to put on their cars.  And whoever heard of an
> 11-sec Honda Civic, as some of them claim.  Nevertheless, my feeling
> is that the Nology "Hot Wires" would be of benefit at higher rpms only, and
> may not work for what I want in the Triumph.
>
>         Does anyone have any real-world experience?
>
>         I have no interest in Nology (other than a consumer) etc, etc, etc.
>
>         Shane Ingate in San Diego
The capasitor "in line" does not work well. I was involved with a
company that is now selling a capasitor that screws on to the spark plug
itself. I was doing the testing with a rolling dyno and a 5 gas analyzer
(fith gas is nitrous oxides).
We tested all the capasitor configurations on the market for comparison.
The in line ones only gave 3-4% increase when they worked. That means
that you have the other components perfectly matched to work.
The one that screwed on to the plug and is grounded on the plug, gives
up to 27% increase in efficiency (ie power).

Steve