gas tank cleaning

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: gas tank cleaning
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 07:45:11 -0400
I just removed the gas tank from a '75 Midget that turned out to have
gas in it...no surprise, except that it has been sitting for three
years.  Needless to say I finally had to leave the "barn-garage" where I
was working because of the pungent, nasty (can't stress the nasty bit
enough) fumes.  I assume I probably need to clean out the tank...what is
the proper way to do this?  Just swish some new gas around?  Light a
match?  (heh heh)  I also will be needing to clean the exterior of the
tank (quite nasty with spiders, rust flakes, the like).  Will I have an
explosion risk if I sand it?  :-)  (sparks)   I can see it now...  "Man
who should have known better blows up the state of tennessee today while
sanding the side of a gas tank..."  Of course, being such old gas, it
may be like a half-full 2-liter of Dr Pepper left sitting for a
week...maybe it has lost it's fizz...  I digress. Anyway, I figure since
I had punctured a tank before on a rock and lived to tell about it, I
should be fine!  And is it okay to just respray it with that 3M
rubberized undercoating stuff?  Thanks!  All silliness aside, I really
just need the steps for getting this thing cleaned up and put back on (a
different car).

adrian

--
J. Adrian Barnes