Re: Distributor Advice

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributor Advice
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 10:25:40 -0500
>Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 20:07:25 -0500 (EST)
>From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
>Subject: Re: Distributor Advice
>
>Thanks for the advice on the end play and bushing fit.  Since there is no side
>to side movement, I am going to chance the 15thousandths end play.
>
>The weights appear to be pretty sloppy on the pivot points, but I don't see
>them offered by TRF, Moss, or BV.  Any other sources?
>
>------------------------------

During the rebuilds of both the maroon ('74) and the prim ('69), I started a
little side hobby of rebuilding dizzies for them. Right now the one in the
prim is made up from about four others. As far as the shaft wear goes, I
would say that ANY diz that's been in a car for thirty years is going to
have some play, and the best way to check for slop is to watch your timing
marks. If the mark jumps around, there's too much play. If it stays put,
you're okay. Past that, you needn't worry.

There is one place in the diz, however, that never gets mentioned; the
breaker plates. When you clean them off and reassemble them, you'll notice a
little spring tab on the underside holding them together. You can adjust the
tension on the spring by careful use of a pair of needle nose pliers, but
don't get too carried away. You can break the spring off and then you need a
new bottom plate. And if you adjust the spring too loose, you'll wind up
with a wobbly top plate which can affect the points gap. This can cause a
very interesting loss of regular firing on two or more cylinders, usually
either 2 & 3 or 1 & 4. This happened to me last month and it drove me to
distraction trying to figure out where it came from.

Glenn "Detail, details. Who's got the beer?" Schnittke

No one in Tuna knows what I do for a living.
Why should they care what I say?

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
schnittke@mindspring.com