Re: Midget Fuel System

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Midget Fuel System
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 22:48:06 +0100
Mark Endicott wrote:

> The problem:
>
> The car starts and runs smooth at idle, however when I "blip" the
> throtle it "sputters" and sometimes wants to backfire through the carbs.
> When it is allowed to warm up to normal (170 Deg Water temp) it runs
> much better.

> I now suspect the "off brand" fuel pump, should I pop for the SU or keep
> looking for something else?  What about float level with the Grose Jets,
> I don't have instructions to go by.  I also question the vacuum and
> mechanical advance on the distributor, should I see the timing mark
> change position when I put the vacuum hose back on following timing
> adjustment? I don't see any noticable vacuum advance at idle, what
> should the vacuum be out of the carb line? I can advance the timing with
> the vacuum pump at about 15 to 20 Hg.

Sounds like you've been everywhere except the distributor. Make sure
dwell is normal and try to graph your advance curve. Some of the newer
timing lights have adjustable timing strobes. These can be very helpful.
The 'sputter' you described was addressed on my TR6 with 5 or 6 degrees
more timing.

My Midget memories are fading but I don't remember much vacuum advance
at idle.

Check for vaccuum leaks with carb spray or WD-40 around the obvious
inlet gaskets and throttle shalfs. Swap out the coil if you have one.

I wouldn't think it is the fuel pump.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6