Apologies to Lucas

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Apologies to Lucas
From: JWidell625@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 16:17:30 -0400 (EDT)
Just a note to everyone for as a reminder not to overlook the obvious. My two
recent strating problems, for which I blamed and cursed the Lucas engineers,
were completed unrelated to wiring problems.

On one occasion, the hard starting and poor running turned out to be a loose
distributor, which advanced the timing considerably.  I ckecked every
connection on the car, and found the problem by accident when I brushed
against the distributor.

The second and very recent problem came up with an intermittent starting
problem. As a long time MG owner, the first thought is BAD GROUND.  I knew
it could'nt be the starter, as it was a recent rebuild, of purported high
quality. Again, every connection on the car checked, relays replaced, to no
avail.  I finally checked the starter, to find that one of the long bolts
holding the starter together had come loose, making the shaft bind. A little
Loctite and WD 40, and the 77 B starts on the first turn.

My sincere apologies to any Lucas folks that I may have unnecessarily cursed.

Joel Widell  MArathon, FL.