TF water pump woes

To: "MG owners list serve" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TF water pump woes
From: "Don Toy" <dontoy@nb.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 16:33:13 -0400
About 8 years ago I was trying to get engine temp.on my TF into a tolerable
range, I replaced the thermostat, water pump, belt, pulley, and had the
rad. boiled out and gone over only to find out the gauge was reading 15*
high and I had overfilled the rad..(really stupid).
 Now my dilema; the water pump that I got from Moss seemed to be exactly
the same as the one it was replacing but I could never get the fan tight
enough not to wobble.
8 years older and only a couple wiser, I finally got fed up enough to take
a closer look and found that the pulley doesn't go onto the shaft of the
"new" pump far enough. When fitted onto the shaft of the old pump from the
shelf, it fits tight with no wobble.
My questions:1. Has the old pump been on the shelf too long and are the
"seals" shot.
2.Do I try my luck and try to get another from Moss and hope it's correct.
3.Do I call Moss and see if they'll do anything for me.
As always, Thanks in advance.
Safety Fast,
Don Toy
54 TF