Re: MGA dwell

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGA dwell
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 00:37:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Scott Helms!!

On Wed, 28 May 1997 Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

> My MGA runs fine but for future tuning, I was wondering if anyone has the
> dwell spec for the MGA?  I've looked in my manuals but have not located this
> spec.

You'll have to set the points dead-nuts accurate, then measure your
dwell, and write it down in your manual.

My '72 manual calls out 60 degrees +/- 3 degrees for the 18G/GA/GB
engines, as well as the 18V 581F/582F/583F engines.

You may find the dwell angle referred to as the "cam closed period",
and the "cam open period" listed under DISTRIBUTOR; ie:

          Cam closed period.....60* +/-3*
          Cam closed period.....30* +/-3*

Did they even have dwell meters when the "A" was developed?   ];-)

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen  (who can't make a proper degree [*] character)