Re: Air vent - Midget

To: mliggett@bluemarble.net
Subject: Re: Air vent - Midget
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 09:18:52 -0500 (CDT)
Matt Liggett writes:

> The hose in my '70 Midget goes to an inlet on the valve cover.  This
> is a nasty setup, IMO, as it draws gastank vapors through the
> crankcase.  A better solution, IMO, would be to head straight for the
> carbs instead of taking this circuitous (and contaminatory) route!

This is indeed the factory approach.  Please note that the valve cover
inlet has a restrictor on the end; the actual opening is not much bigger
than a pinhead.  Thus, the system actually draws very little gasoline
vapors through the crankcase.  I'd wager you get more gas vapors in the
crankcase via incomplete combustion blow-by than through the EEC
(Evaporative Emission Control) system.

It's also an elegant combination of EEC and PCV.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with factory EEC intact