Electrical problems

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Electrical problems
From: "Mike Ellsworth" <mikeells@alpha.shianet.org>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 13:28:02 -0400

An update and a question.....

A couple weeks ago, I was having trouble with a non-blinking right side
turn signal. I got several replies indicating that it was likely a low
voltage situation. At the same time my generator started acting up so I
thought maybe the two things were related. After making inquiries about
converting to a Delco alternator, I read Scott helm's post about polarizing
a generator. Having nothing to lose, I tried it, and it worked. It is
charging right up to 18-19 volts at 3k+RPMs. Does anyone know what causes a
generator to lose proper polarity, and is this an indication of future
problems?

Now back to the turn signal. My right side turn signals still won't blink.
I can turn on the signal and it will light steadily, but I can turn it on
and off with the turning stalk. I turn on the hazard lights, then it will
start to blink.I replaced all bulbs, checked connections, measured voltages
and resistances, flasher (left side works fine), everything I can think of.
Someone suggested the hazard switch may be at fault, but they work fine, to
the point where they override the turn signal not blinking. Could a bad
hazard switch be dropping some voltage from one turn signal, so the flasher
doesn't energize? Anyone ever have a similar problem?

                                I bow to your expertise,
                                Mike Ellsworth