'74 'B

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '74 'B
From: "Steve Dillen"<Steve_Dillen@ismbc.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 13:12:22 -0700
Well, last night I found out the extent of the DPO's 'repairs' on my '74 B.
Having bought the car last February as something of a project (only paid
$800 cdn) for it, which at the time seemed quite reasonable -- after all,
the body looked pretty good, interior was fair, and it actually ran -- I
now think the project is abandoned.

Here's the scoop.
I've completed the engine rebuild, and am in pretty good shape about that,
but the body is the problem.  After taking out the seats, and finding the
fiberglass floor plates that have never cured, sanding through the bondo on
the door skins and finding the rust damage, which at the very least will
require new skins, and tearing through the rust-repair panels that covered
the rocker panels and finding out what was really behind them (nothing!),
it looks like it'll cost a >lot< more to rebuild than to buy another MG. --

So, the plan of attack is now to salvage every possible piece off this car
(especially my new engine) and find another one -- preferrably with a
slightly better body!

So -- if anyone is in the Vancouver BC area and would like any parts from
this car -- the chrome is quite good, please let me know -- and I'm now
keeping my eyes out for another chrome bumpered B, especially since I now
know what to look for (and watch out for)!