RE: MGB dwell

To: Randy Rees <randyr@starwave.com>
Subject: RE: MGB dwell
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 17:50:45 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 30 May 1997, Randy Rees wrote:

> How do you set it? if you move the gap to x.xx" then set dwell, you
> would in theory be changing the gap to set dwell, a total catch 22.

> Randy Rees wrote:
> >
> > Can someone explain how to set dwell? I can't find it in the Haynes
> > manual an anywhere.
> > >

> Dwell is adjusted by setting the contact breaker gap.  My Haynes gives
> it as 60 +- 3 degrees for the 25D4 and 51 +- 5 degrees for the 45D4 and
> 45DE4.  Contact breaker gap is given as .014 to .016 in for the 25D4 and
> 45D4, and .010 to .017 in for the 45DE4.  The figures for the the 25D4
> and 45D4 are confirmed by my Workshop manual, it is too early an issue
> to cover the 45DE4.
>
> PaulH.

What we have here is a failure of communication.  Setting point gap and
setting dwell are two different ways of accomplishing the same thing.  If
your points are new and clean, you can set the dwell using a feeler.  If
you then put the dwell meter on, you will find the dwell is spot on
target.  If there were a peak and valley on the points, your feeler would
not give the correct setting.  In that case, dwell would be more accurate.

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629