Re: What is the "Crack of Doom"?

To: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: What is the "Crack of Doom"?
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 09:33:08 -0500
At 08:30 AM 6/1/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I had the impression that the MGB "crack of doom" was a crack that
>revealed the unibody was falling apart.  Recently though, I've heard it
>described as the crack that might run from the outside rear-view mirror to
>the top of the door.  If it's the latter, why is there "doom"?  Couldn't
>the crack simply be welded?

I've heard the door crack referred to as the "MGB crack", some may call it
the crack of doom, because they think it inevitable. Don't close your door
by the wing-window frame, and make sure it isn't being pushed by your top
and the door crack can be evaded. . .or at least much delayed. I think some
people believe the crack occurs because of body flex, and hence could be the
"crack of doom", but Bs just don't flex that much. IMHO

Michael, New Bern, NC (a plate can be welded behind crack area to further
strengthen)