Re: Oil Cooler

To: Bob Gaughan <gaughan@highway1.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oil Cooler
From: ninab@scoresheet.com (Nina Barton)
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 16:12:22 -0700
At  8:57 AM 6/1/97 -0400, Bob Gaughan wrote:
>From what I read an oil cooler is desireable.  Does it
>make sense to remove the electric fan and put an oil cooler in its
>place?
>Also, is it necessary to get the oil cooler from Moss or will a generic
>one do the trick.  I see them around for about $35.

As I understand it (at least on a B) stock oil coolers are generally 13
row, with availabilities of 15 and 19 rows.  When my oil cooler was leaking
a year ago, I made the mistake of buying a generic oil cooler from a local
parts dealer.  It only had 3 rows of cooling capacity as opposed to the
standard 13.  After being chastised by every MG person I knew for having an
inadequate oil cooler, I replaced mine with one from Moss.  Also, with the
generic oil cooler, my oil cooler hoses were stretched unnaturally.  Make
sure you have adequate cooling capacity, and you are not compromising your
hoses.  My opinion, backed by several mistakes.                     Nina