Re: '76 Midget - squeaky steering.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: '76 Midget - squeaky steering.
From: Couchmen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:16:10 -0400 (EDT)

<<
 Once again I come looking for the wisdom of the list.  My Midget has
 just begun to make some unusual sounds from the steering column.
 When I turn the wheel in either direction, I hear the distinct sounds
 of "flat friction."  It's not grinding, its not squeaking - like to
 pieces of rough plastic sliding against one another.  The sound
 oscillates as the wheel goes 'round.

 It just struck me that I've only ever heard the sound  after a good
 rainstorm.  God knows we've had a few of those in Vancouver the last
 couple of weeks.  Might just be that the roof is overhead so I get
 less ambient noise.....I dunno!

Chris,

I had a similar problem on a 72 midget after about 80k miles.  It happened a
long time ago, so the memory is a bit dim.  As I remember, there is an
electrical contact at the top of the steering column, I guess for the horn.
 There is a narrow rectangle of metal pressing an electrical contact onto a
disc of metal that rotates when you steer (sorry I don't know the technical
terms).  The electrical contact wore away leaving the metal rectangle to make
contact.  Sometimes it squeaked and sometimes it didn't.  If that's the
problem, you just need a new contact.

- Roy