FW:

To: mgs
Subject: FW:
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 13:44:01 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["Keith M. Wheeler"
<kwheeler@intellinet.com>]]

     Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:37:38 -0700
     From: "Keith M. Wheeler" <kwheeler@intellinet.com>
     Subject: MGB Reliablility (longish)

I've had my 'B since I was 16, which will mean 11 years of ownership
this summer.  I've experienced a few strandings, but no more than
my high school buddy did in his Dodge Dart, nor more than I
experienced driving my mom's 280ZX.

Since rebuilding the engine last summer and doing some major
restoration type stuff (all new suspension, interior, checked
out all the wiring, fixed this'n'that), I've had only one problem
(this being the problem I experienced when I posted the "out of
ideas" thing a while back).

I drove this MGB from Little Rock to San Diego, solo, without losing
so much as a drop of oil.  This car has endured deserts, forests,
dirt roads, mountain climbs, rallies, autocrosses, all without too much
complaint.

After arriving in Diego, the 'B (on the way to the local MG club
meeting!) quit.  A minute of investigation showed the fuel pump
wire had rattled loose.  Worst stranding I've had in years.

I did have a bit of a scare a few weeks back (thanks to all those
who gave suggestions).  I had some problems that people attributed
to 1) water in the gas, or 2) insufficient fuel pump for my Weber.
First I experienced a loss of power above 3000, then it got worse.
Turned out I had a headgasket failure between 1 & 2, with some
major combustion blow by.  This was on a copper competition head
gasket.  No other problems were noted.

My 'B has been modified some, with a few things that help on
the reliability side.  Ported and polished head, headers, DCOE
type carb (actually a royal pain to get right, but once it's
right...), aircraft quality head studs, dual row timing chain,
oil cooler, 289/.408 cam, balanced, stronger clutch, etc...

I think that a 'B can be very reliable, _after_ you check it out.
Unless you really know where it came from, I think it'd be difficult
to buy a used 'B and expect it to be very reliable.

A 'B can (as most any LBC) can be made to be incredibly reliable,
if you want to take the time to do it right, and take the time to
keep the car well maintained.  I even believe it is possible to
have reliability _and_ performance.  (now performance and longevity,
that's another story).

All that said (and trying not to sound too hypocritical), here's
an update on my Rover engine conversion. (performance, reliability,
_and_ longevity)  I've been pulling the engine apart, seems rather
yucky with oil crap, but other than that seems ok.  I may be
lucky and just have to do a re-ring.  I'm still searching for
some bits, TR-8 bellhousing, flywheel, ECU, hotwire airflow
sensor, EFI wiring harness.  The fuel injection bits are for a
'91 Range Rover, so if you just happen to have a Rover parts
car about...  ;)

Safety Fast,

-Keith