Re: MG's on TV

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.net>
Subject: Re: MG's on TV
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 1997 17:32:01 +0000
Leckstein wrote:

> Paul, Jersey must be a great place. Didn't the Germans refuse to surrender
> , even after the war ended. Well at least for a few days? I thought it was
> the last place under occupation to surrender.
>
> How much does the ferry cost to get there from the south of England?
>
> Mike in New Jersey

I have to admit that I don't know for sure how the occupation ended, you could
be
right.

The standard fare on the Sea Cat from Poole is UK Sterling 250, but I
understand
that a small number of places are available at a reduced rate if you book via a
hotel.  When we booked all these places had gone.  The trip takes 3 1/2 hours
and
calls at Guernsey first.  Well, it should take that long but on our outward
trip
only three of the four engines were working, which made journey times longer
which
meant it missed the tides (most, if not all, of the harbours in the CI are
impassable at low tide) so instead of getting in at 7pm and having a pleasant
evening drinking free wine we arrived at midnight.  The ferry Co told the
Jersey
MGers the wrong arrival time and didn't pass on a message asking us to wait at
the
harbour, so we had to find our own way to our hotels.

The vessel was built in Tasmania, but someone specified British engines (Lucas
injection?).  That vessel currently holds the Blue Riband for the voyage from
Oz
to UK.

All four engines were working for the return trip but we had a Force 6/7
headwind
and 15 ft seas to contend with.  Quite a rough crossing, I was pleased to see
'Bee' had not suffered.

Had a great few days.

Cheers,
PaulH.