4.3 gearing

To: Carl Cederstrand <cederstrand@earthlink.net>
Subject: 4.3 gearing
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 21:43:00 -0400
Hello Carl,
       Wanted to touch base and say thank you again. It's taken some
time, but I picked the car on Sunday and brought it home. Finally had a
chance to take it for a spin tonight. (First warm day we've had here in
New England.) One of the first things that I discovered is that my
tachometer is very optimistic. A true 4000RPM is at an indicated
4700RPM. Bringing the car home on Sunday, I had my wife following me in
the family car ('92 Taurus wagon). When we got home I asked how she
liked my 68MPH TD run. She gave me a funny look and said, "You weren't
quite as much of a hazard this tome. You were doing all of about 56".
The speedometer fluctuates so badly I've never been inclined to even
look at it, but I've accepted the tach as gospel.
     I checked it out by hooking up my good inductive dwell/tach with
the wires taped in place and snaking out from under the bonnet so that I
could see both tachs at the same time. I guess I'll have to get the tach
refurbished, except that I'm not about to put the car out of commission
now. I think I'll just design up and build a simple digital LCD-display
tach  that I can refer to on the highway.
    By the way, the conversion project ended up costing about $1000.
>From what I sensed tonight, windscreen down, bugs in the teeth, rolling
along at 70mph, it was well worth it. Thanks again Carl. I hope you
don't mind, but I'm going to share with a few folks on the mgs e-mail
list. I had been telling them that my car was at the Proctologist's for
the past six weeks.