MGB brake upgrade

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB brake upgrade
From: keithw@sand.net
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 97 01:27:12 PDT
I've just started doing some research into brake
improvement on the 'B.  Currently I'm running some
repco autocross type pads, and teflon/stainless hoses,
but no other brake mods.  The repco pads are a big
improvement over the $10-a-set types, but, as usual,
I want more.  I don't have any desire to dredge up
the ancient "modify brakes on for an MGB V-8".

Any comments on the various caliper/rotor mods
available in the catalogs?  Anyone on the list have
a 'B modified as such?  I have to admit, I like the
looks of the 4-pot systems, but I don't want to have
to spend $200 just to replace rotors.

One option I'm considering is carbon-metallic pads.
At the very least I'd like to try them on a 'B.  We're
installing a set on our Spec RX-7.

My goal with my 'B is to build an MGB that can be used
as a daily driver, with performance to match the middle
to upper range modern sports cars, without bodging or
bastardizing the car.  Since I'm not a total purist, for
me bastardizing means non-british/non-MG-dream type stuff,
that is, I only want to do things that MG did or things
that are in the spirit of MG.  No Chevy small-blocks etc.

As I've said a few times on the list, my rather prepped
b-series mill is going to be replaced by a 3.9 litre Rover,
which is looking better all the time.  I don't have the
heads off yet, but I pulled the valley cover and check the
cam.  No trashed lobes, but some of the back ones looked
slightly worn.  Good excuse to change camshafts.

My gearbox is a TR-8 5 speed.  Presently I'm sorting out my
suspension.  The body work is copied from the early '60s
Sebring cars, though the car was a rubber bumper 'B to start
with.  Without the weight of the bumpers, the car sets
too high.  New front springs and lowering blocks for the back,
along with some rear axle work are the next things on my
'to-do' list.  (_after_ I get the Spec RX-7 together and out
of my buddy's garage)

I've even considered doing some bodywork changes, possibly to
RV8 type.

Oh well, I'm rambling again, and all I wanted to know was who
has upgraded brakes and what they did.

-Keith

Team Sanctuary