Long trip... replacing gas tank

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Long trip... replacing gas tank
From: "Mark A. Wise" <wisem@db.erau.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 11:43:18 -0700
Hi all...  The PO of my '80 B apparently was driving at max speed in
reverse when he rammed a curb.  The result is a badly damaged gas tank.
The dent probably accounts for a loss of 1 gallon capacity and the
sending unit doesn't work.  I'm going to be driving from here (San Jose)
to Florida next month, and decided now's the time to fix it.

So, how difficult is it to swap out an old for a new tank.  Also, are
there any other parts that I need to replace while under there?

While we're at it, any other suggestions for getting my car ready for
the 3000+ mile journey?  I'll be driving down the CA coast then across
Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and finally
Florida.  I'm going to be taking the two lane "blue highways" and
visiting a few of the many national parks (e.g., the grand canyon) along
the way.

Thanks in advance...

mark wise

'80B