Re: travel kit / guess you weren't a Boy Scout?

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: travel kit / guess you weren't a Boy Scout?
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 07:39:23 -0500 (CDT)
You wrote:

>For all the people who have responded to the travel-kit thread you
would
>need a tractor-trailer to carry all this junk. Try MAINTENANCE it
>works,its cheap (if you do it), your trunk is left open for your wifes

>picnic and you are not afraid to travel. If you have no more knowledge
of
>your car than a travel-kit Buy a Miata they have expensive dealers all

>over, me I think you should enjoy your ride not worry about it.

So what do you suggest, total engine overhaul every 5,000 miles or so?
There are always unforseeables, especially with cars that in many cases
have, who knows how many DPO (dreaded previous owners) have done who
knows what to their cars. Yes maintenance is important but being
prepared can make the difference between a minor change in plans and
being knocked out of any further day's events. There is a joke here on
Long Island amoung my local club's members. When we are going on a
group run of any distance my fellow members ask "should I bring any
spares or is David coming ago?" You can keep the basics in a small
duffle bag and really not be inconvienced, by lack of space. How big a
picnic is your wife packing anyway?

The funniest part about breaking down with a Little British Car(at
least MGs that is) is that I have yet to not have someone, who "used to
own one of those" or "have a friend, with one of those", stop and offer
assistance. I have broken down with a Camry, Ford Van, Toyota Celica
and several others over the past 23 years of driving but the MGs are
the only ones people stopped to help me with. I have heard it referred
to as the "Marque of Friendship" and can only assume that MG driver's
are stereotyped as "nice", worthy of assistance, people. Of course the
other explanation could be the people stopping are just hoping to help
themself to some spares that may be what they need to get the MG, they
have had sitting idle for the last 10 years, running again.:-)

Safety Fast, David Deutsch