Re: (Wiring Content) Where there's SMOKE. . .

To: Jason_Wood@inc.com
Subject: Re: (Wiring Content) Where there's SMOKE. . .
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 12:53:29 -0500 (CDT)
[ I'm not going to answer all points, because I can't, but I do think
  the following is important for everyone to consider: ]

Jason_Wood@inc.com writes:

>      Well, I've owned this '77 MGB for all of a week now.

Congratulations.  I think.

>      4) Does the headlight switch have a fuse in the line somewhere that I
>      should look for?

I don't know conclusively for your '77, but I've never ever heard of an
MGB of any year having a fused headlamp circuit from the factory.  The
factory headlight circuit in my '74 and, by induction, in all other MGBs,
is woefully inadequate, to the point of being unsafe.

The problem is that all of the headlamp current goes through the little
bitty contacts in the switch, and through the little bitty wires
connecting the switch to power and to the lamps.  The solution is
simple:  Relays.  Use the switch to operate the relay, and use the relay
to pump big current through big wires directly to the lamps.  You win
because your underdash wiring and your headlamp switch don't burn up,
and you win because the severe voltage drop in the factory wiring
circuit is eliminated.  The lamps get full voltage and burn much
brighter.

This mod is completely reversible (if you do it right), and not too
difficult.  There are instructions at the tech section of the SOL
WebSite (http://www.team.net/sol), or I'll send some if you're really
lazy (like I am).

>      5) Where can I get a good wiring diagram?  (Anyone want to fax one?)

Factory Workshop Manual.  Don't fly without it.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with bright white H4s