Re: More Carb discussion

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: More Carb discussion
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 14:11:21 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Eastman wrote:

> The signal that they use to position the needle is outside of the throttle
> butterfly and, therefore, does not compensate for changes in manifold
> vacuum.  Manifold vacuum is a primary indicator of engine load.  An engine
> at low rpm with the throttle wide open (low vacuum, high load) and an

So you are saying that throttle position has no influence on the signal
you mention?  By opening the throttle more, this signal does not get
exposed to more manifold vacuum?

> Concerning the use of oxygen sensors.  My understanding is that most oxygen
> sensors are very sensitive right around stoichiometric but almost useless
> in the more rich or lean conditions.  In other words, an oxygen sensor

I think so too.

> I don't think that Oxygen sensors are DC devices so I don't know if you can
> read one with a VOM but, again, don't bet the farm on this because this may
> be poor memory or old information.

You can.  Instead of buying an expensive fuel mixture guage (as sold by
Moss, I think) you can use a cheap O2 sensor and a VOM.  There is a
webpage describing this in detail. I might be able to dig it up on my
machine at home if need be.

                                                           '67 Sprite