Re: Long trip... getting more space

To: wisem@db.erau.edu
Subject: Re: Long trip... getting more space
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:32:38 EDT
On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:23:12 -0700 "Mark A. Wise" <wisem@db.erau.edu>
writes:
>Again, thanks to everyone that offered suggestions for places to get a
>luggage rack.  I still have your mail.  I'm not sure if I want to add
>permanent fixture to my car that I'm probably only going to use for
>this
>one cross-country trip.  Are there any other suggestions for ways to
>maximize, or add carrying space to my 'B without a permanent luggage
>rack.
>
>I'm considering swapping the full size spae for a mini.  Could someone
>send me the list of compatiable mini tires?
>
>Thanks!
>
>- mark
>  '80B

Your 1980 B has space beside the one battery under the panel in the back.
Older cars  carried two 6v batteries wired in series,, but by 1975 or so
a single 12v would do the job better & cheaper. Look in a pre-75 to see
how the old battery cover panel was arrranged. I would think that you
could form a new hole to fit an old lid. Moss has plastic battery boxes
that would fit in there, but you have 2-3 times the space available so
building your own container would do better. Some small spare parts such
as points, coil, plugs, gas filter and a spare fuel pump will fit in the
crannies under the hood. A surprising amount of stuff will fit inside the
spare wheel if it's inverted. You will have to cut and thread the
hold-down bolt. Cross-country in a B is fun; I've enjoyed a number of N-S
east coast trips. Oh-another idea. Last summer, one of the chaps in our
CT MG Club who went to Indianapolis bought a small,cheap trailer and
mounted a mummy-shaped car-top carrier on the trailer. He said it worked
great, that his B had plenty of power, in fact he didn't even notice it
was there. I have towed a 150 lb boat, with its sails and other gear,
plus the trailer and have had equally good results.
MGBob