tire blow up blues

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tire blow up blues
From: David Councill <dcouncil@inetco.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 17:56:05 -0600
For those of you with a good memory, you may recall my tire blow up. I
finally found a tire distributor here in Billings (MT) that has 175/70R14
in stock for about $52, three different brands including a
Michelin.

But while pricing tires, I decided to fix my speedometer which went out a
couple of months ago. I convinced my son and potential MG initiate to
remove the right angle drive, a difficult task in my 71BGT with O/D.

He pulled it out and I was pleased to find it was actually still good. To
make a long story short, I pulled out the cable and the speedo, and much to
my shock, they all worked when I tested them with my trusty drill.

Now that only leaves one place - the transmission. As I recall, its just
another piece with a gear on it that theoretically should be easy to remove
with transmission in place.

Has anyone had problems in this area or have an idea what may have gone
bad? Over the years, I have gone through a few cables, a speedometer or
two, and several right angle drives - but never anything else in the speedo
circuit.

David

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net