Re: Priorities! Brakes vs. HP

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Priorities! Brakes vs. HP
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 09:08:36 -0700
Well, let me interject my $.02 here too.....

As someone who has long enjoyed '60's muscle sedans, I think you all
are loosing perspective on the braking qualities of a stock MGB. IMHO a
stock MGB has better brakes than many of the cars of their era, just
by virtue of disk brakes combined with a low weight car. When I think
you should worry about brakes vs. HP is when your talking about cars
like a '62 Galaxie- 4500 lbs, four wheel drum brakes, potential to
have 400+ HP. This is a situation when you really need to upgrade
the brakes!! A MGB is never going to really be able to develop the
HP to brake ratio that you need to worry about brake upgrades, unless
you're racing it. On the street I think that the brakes are more
than adequate, especially if you have at least half a brain and pay
attention- which will make you brake better than %95 of the zombies on
the roads out there. Or, in other words, most of the time it's the
drivers behavior that overpowers the brakes, not the engine.

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"

P.S. Not that I'm against upgrading the brakes, if you want to-go for
it, semimetalic brakes pads work great, and I really like the firm pedal
feel of braided brake lines.