Car alarms and vehicle lights

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Car alarms and vehicle lights
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 02:59:12 +0000
Since we have threads going on fused headlights and car alarms, I
thought I'd merge them for a second.
        If you install a car alarm that flashes the parking lights, make
sure you put a fuse in the lead from the alarm brain to the parking
light wiring.  One trick to disabling car alarms that is low-tech
enough that I'd actually believe a thief using it is to remove the
lens from one of the parking lamps, removing the bulb, and stuffing
tinfoil in the bulb socket.  Then set off the car alarm.  The
dead-short you introduced in the lighting wiring will fry the alarm's
brain module when it tries to flsh the lights, before the siren
really has a chance to make a noise.  Since the starter-kill relays
in most alarms are wired to fail-safe instead of fail-secure, this
will also turn off the starter-disable circuit, allowing the car to
be started.  Note that some alarms already have the parking light
circuit fused, so this may not be necessary.
        You have to use this information for good, and not to expand your
LBC collection at the expense of others!!  ;)
 Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner