dash wiring and panel rheostat

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: dash wiring and panel rheostat
From: Jason_Wood@inc.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 97 08:33:20 EST
     I'm still following burnt wires under my dashboard.  One wire from the
     headlight switch (red, green tracer) to the panel rheostat (dashboard
     light dimmer knob) is cooked to hell.  One wire out of the rheostat
     (to one of the dashboard lights according to the diagram: red, white
     tracer) is sort of fried, but the other, that goes to the same
     terminal on the rheostat is not.

     Here are my questions:

     1) Presumably it is the dashboard light (to which the burned red,
     white tracer wire leads) that is shorted?  I think this because the
     other red, white tracer wire is not.  If it were red/green that had
     the short, wouldn't ever wire in contact with the rheostat be fried?

     2) Assuming I am wrong in question one, would the headlight switch be
     melted, black, bubbled, etc. if it were the source of my problems?
     The red/green wire is most damaged, and yet the light blue and brown
     wires that connect seem damaged only by contact with red/green and the
     switch seems fine.

     3) How does the rheostat come out of the dashboard?  Mine's already
     out, I just need to know how it's supposed to come out so I know if I
     broke mine.  Also, why is this thing so expensive ($73 in Moss.  $58
     in Brit-tek)?  And, if anyone knows, how does it work?

     4) Is it possible for any of these problems to be related to my fuel
     pump?  This burning wire incident occurred immediately after I solidly
     connected my fuel pump.

     Please help, the weather's too nice to not be out cruising,

     Thanks in advance.

     Jason

     77 B (with guts hanging below the dash)