Re: Transmission oil update

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission oil update
From: stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle)
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:53:11 -0400
Bill Eastman wrote:

> As I mentioned a while back, I filled the MGA's transmission with Amzoils
> gear oil.  This was an attempt to quite it down and smooth out the shifts a
> bit.
>
> After about 500 miles, I am considering changing to something else.  While
> noise is down and shifts are much smoother, to negative effects have been
> noticed.  First, the stuff is too slick for my, admittedly old and worn,
> synchros to do their job.  I can now beat all the synchros all the time
> where before second was an issue only when you were in a hurry.
>
> The second issue may be peculiar to my car but, knowing LBC's fairly well,
> I doubt it.  After 36 years, my tranny is not as oil tight as it once was.
> The Amzoil gear lube smells like gear lube which means that it stinks to
> high heaven, in my opinion.  Now, when my car gets warm and I stop at a
> stoplight, I get the unmistakable aroma of gear lube gently wafting up from
> the floorboards.  This I can live without.
>
> So I expect that I will be ditching the Amzoil soon.  Others have mentioned
> Redline MTL.  Where do you get it?  How much does it cost? What does it
> smell like?  Moss sells Redline Nonslip gear lube for manual tranny's.  How
> does that stuff smell?
>
> Regards,
> Bill Eastman
> 61 MGA with slight BO
Bill. don't get the Redline from Moss. You need Redline MTL! I have
researched the stuff for several months as has Geoff Love who rebuilt my
TD's gearbox. MTL is 75/80 weight and will not harm synchros or
brass/copper parts.
The MTL is a DOT 4 product while the Moss "stuff" is a DOT 5. You need
DOT 4.

Steve
52 TD