Re: rheostat--help!

To: Jason_Wood@inc.com
Subject: Re: rheostat--help!
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 19:42:26 -0500
Jason_Wood@inc.com wrote:

>       Next questions:
>
>      1) Can a rheostat short out?  I don't think it's the source of my
>
>      problem, but would gozinta burn if gozouta is shorted?  Vice
> versa?

If the rheostat shorted internally to ground, it would burn the wires or
blow the fuse on the hot (feeder, gozinta) side.  If the wires feeding
the lamps (gozouta) or the lamps shorted, it could burn up the rheostat,
or the input wire or fuse.

>      2) Also, I'm chasing burned wires under the dashboard and it
> seems
>      that some red wires with white tracer (panel illumination) are
> fried
>      (clock and oil pressure gauge illuminators).  It may sound
> random, but
>      is there ANY way this could be related to a short in the white
> wire
>      that goes to the fuel pump?

This could have caused the rheostat problem - but I would think that the
only way it could cause fuel pump problems is if the wires were in the
same bundle and the smoking ones cooked the adjacent ones.  The inertia
safety cutoff switch for the later B's is located under the dash on the
left side, above the bonnet release handle.  Don't think these wires are
even close to being in the same bundle area as the instrument wires.
Have you tried resetting the inertia switch?

>      3) Under the dash, are black wires ground wires?  (My Bentley
> manual
>      hasn't come yet)

Black wires are *always* ground in MGBs.  In an earlier version (4.1) of
Moss Motor's catalog, there is a nice listing of MGB color codes, what
each supplies, etc.  I do not find that in edition 5.0.  Let me know if
you need a copy of it.  I may (with Moss's permission) post it to the
NAMGBR website.

--
Keep on keepin' on!
(non illegitimus carborundus)