failure-prone tires?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: failure-prone tires?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 03:21:24 +0000
> I have Cooper's on one of my vechicles, and I will never buy them again.
> I had four flat tires (3 rear, 1 front) within one year. They seem to
> have no puncture resistance. On flat was caused by a 3/8" bolt, if
> something as big and dull as that can puncture a tire, than IMHO
> something is wrong. Mine were 'bottom of the line', and all I could
> afford at the time, so I guess I got what I paid for. I got Michelin
> XH's now.

This isn't really related to Cooper tires, but funny nonetheless.  My
parents bought a Cadillac Fleetwood Broughm new in 1985.  Not quite a
limousine, but it's the model they made the limousines out of.
Anyway, it had those gold striped, self-sealing tires on them.  No
one told them they were only self-sealing AFTER you pulled out the
offending bolt/screw/nail/whatever.  Anyway, over the course of the
next year, they got four flats on the same tire, and all four holes
were so close together that they could have been covered with
a fifty-cent piece!  The fourth plug would have been too much
for the tire, so they replaced it, but we've never figured out if the
tire had a weak spot, or if it was just incredible dumb luck!
 Scott