MGB gas mileage, mixture and tank size

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB gas mileage, mixture and tank size
From: kbedford@biggles.uk03.bull.co.uk (Keith Bedford)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 12:42:21 +0100 (BST)
Ever since buying my 77 BGT I've been getting a very poor 22 MPG (thats UK G's).
I've tuned the carbs, and had them tuned professionally, changed points &
condensor, plugs and adjusted tappets to little avail.
Decided carbs were just too (160k miles?) worn.
Two weeks ago I fitted new plug leads (to cure occaisional misfire) and a new
brake-servo vacuum hose.
Now I get 26 MPG!
The question is why?

The misfire only recently started, till then performance was ok.
The servo hose was in poor condition, but if it was letting-in air that would
weaken the mixture?
I haven't touched the carbs (and the screws are 'tipp-exed' in position),
the mixture is good (light-grey exhaust pipe, needs choke to start in morning,
will start without in evening), idles and runs good.

I'm happy but curious (but not curious enough to put old plug leads back on).

A related query - my fuel gauge never reads above 3/4, I've never squeezed
more than 9.5 gallons (UK) in - but how close is that to really empty?
I believe the tank is 12 galls, but I've read that US spec B's could only use
10 galls due to the feed-back pipework etc (which I don't have).
Any UK readers with a 77 (or similar) GT and a good fuel gauge able to tell
me the usable capacity of the tank?

Cheers,
        Keith
--