Re: Lean = hot?

To: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>, cdelling@ic.net
Subject: Re: Lean = hot?
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voy.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:50:15 -0400
Scott Gardner wrote:
> I always wondered why a lean mixture makes an
> > engine run hot. Anybody out there have a good theory?

Hi MGers,

The bottom line on mixtures causing cool or hot engine conditions is
that the fuel acts to cool the engine to some degree as it enters the
cylinder. The richer mixtures naturally carries more fuel into the
cylinder which cools the piston/cylinder/head.An analogy would be to
heat a skillet and put one drop of water in it versus one hundred drops.
The more water, the cooler the skillet. Same with the fuel.

Tom Shirley
Sale Creek, TN
71 Midget
72 Datsun 510 (the race car)