Stolen Midget rescued

To: "mgs" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Stolen Midget rescued
From: "eugene faust" <ejfaust@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 17:07:22 -0400
My son retreived his Midget yesterday after a chase which ended about a
mile from where it was originally stolen. Between the members of our local
MG Car Club and my son's sailing buddies we had quite a network watching
out for the car and it paid off!  On both Monday and Tuesday he got reports
of it being seen in the vicinity of a local beach.
So on Wednesday he took his winter wheels (4 wheel drive pickup) and
patrolled the beach parking lot.  It was a hot sticky day and by about 4 in
the afternoon he was just about ready to give up when he spotted it as it
passed it going in the opposite direction. A quick U turn  while he called
the police on the cell phone and the chase was on.
 After a few zigs and zags through some side streets the miscreant made the
mistake of trying to take a shortcut across a muddy field.  Bad move when
your'e  driving a Midget and being chased by someone in a four wheel drive
truck.
Well, the MG got stuck, the truck didn't, my son got his car back but the
driver got away on foot.  However, the police collected fingerprints and a
large bag full of the guys personal belongings which they thought might
lead to him. The car was undamaged and if fact several things pointed to
the possibility that the guy was going to keep it.  For example the was a
folder of paint chips and a businees card from a local body shop on the
front seat!
Sorry if the story is too long but I thought it was an interesting episode.
Gene