Re: Dash lights and Zippos

To: mgs%autox.team.net@aphub.aerojetpd.com
Subject: Re: Dash lights and Zippos
From: KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Paul D Kile)
Date: 01 Jul 97 06:49:55 PDT
Bert Palte recommended a Zippo to read the MGB gauges.  I contend
that certain models had a built-in Zippo for exactly that purpose...

About 15 years ago I was driving my 1972 B-GT back from Marin County
to Davis, here in CA.  As I was tooling along Sir Francis Drake
Blvd., I noticed an odd glow in my tach and speedo, making them very
readable. This wasn't normal, so I glanced around the dash to see
what was going on.  As I peered over the steering wheel hub, I
noticed a small FLAME coming out of the plastic housing for the
switches on the steering column, just like someone had flicked their
BIC (or Zippo)!.  Muttering the usual oaths, I took a deep breath and
blew out the flame.  My wish didn't come true, for as I looked up I
saw that my headlights were no longer operating.  I got the switch
housing off, and found the big blue headlight wires had melted at the
switch.  I managed to get the lights working with a bent paperclip
around the contacts, and drove that way for several months until I
could afford a new switch.

So, Zippos come as optional equipment already on some MGs!

Cheers, PK

Paul D. Kile

kile_paul@aphub.aerojetpd.com

(916) 355-5162