Re: Our Cars Being Shipped Off? (and Denise Thorpe)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Our Cars Being Shipped Off? (and Denise Thorpe)
From: as@boris.umds.ac.uk (A.D.Smith)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 13:47:40 +0100
   >>>From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>

   >>>Where is the demand?  Why is there a demand for these LH car's?  How much
   >>>are they paying for these cars?  What kind of condition are they aquireing
   >>>these cars?  What are the most popular ones?  Who is he buyer and
exporter?

Denise and I had another beer evening last night.  She was telling me that
she's managed to sell one of her B's to a Norwegian chap, who'll pick it up
from London after she's shipped it from California.

It seems that there is a reasonably large demand for US cars in Europe.

Either they go to countries in mainland Europe, where they drive on the
"wrong" side, like in the US, or they come back to Blighty and get converted
back to having the steering wheel on the right side.  Either way it can
work out cheaper to find a US car, ship it back and do some work on it than
to buy a car in Europe - your prices are so much lower over there.  Conversion
to RHD doesn't cost much, certainly not enough to make it unworkeable.

Denise has also sold one of the 1100s to someone in the states, and has
left the other two 1100s with her brother, who'll sell them on.  Final two
Bs will stay in California for a while, then one will be sold, and the
old favourite she'll bring to Britain.  (Might even get converted to RHD!)

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.            | a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Computational Imaging Science.    | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/a.d.smith/
9th Floor, Capital House          | tel. : 0171 940 9103
42 Weston Street, London SE1 3QD. | fax. : 0171 378 7480

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.