Re: 6V battery

To: wkube@iadfw.net, markmoburg@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: 6V battery
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 21:30:58 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-03 19:56:35 EDT, wkube@iadfw.net (Wayne Kube)
writes:

>  But, if you're *really*
>  serious about more cranking power, put 2 twelve volts in parallel.  You
>  still end up with 12 volts, but the amperage will be doubled.  Just make
>  sure the batteries are identical for proper charging.

Wayne:

This is an invitation for disaster! I agree with you, that as long as both
batteries are identical, everything is OK, and you have twice the charging
current. But what happens when one battery goes bad (and sooner or later, one
will)? The good battery will now act as a battery charger to the bad battery.
With nothing but the internal resistance of the battery to limit current,
there is a real probability of a melt down.

As for the use of parallel batteries in trucks, are you sure they don't use
some type of isolation scheme, such as the use of rectifiers, to prevent
this? I would be interested in learning more about this.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74