Area under the curve

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Area under the curve
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 19:57:47 -0500
Larry Unger wrote:

>>>Hmmm ... the 1489 reaches peak torque at 3500 rpm, the 1588 at 3800
rpm,the 1622 at 4000 rpm, and the 1798 at 3000 rpm ... so, do the
1489/1588/1622engines have a greater "area under the torque curve" than the
1798? ... ;^)<<<

A good measure of "area under the torque curve"  is the difference in rpm
between peak torque and peak hp.  The 1798 with its low peak torque rpm
probably has a wider flat torque band the the relatively peake 1588 and
1622 engines.

One other thing, Larry.  I wrote the last post before I noticed that you
had included figures for the 1622 with two compression ratios.  If those
numbers are correct, then the reality differs somewhat from the theory as I
remember it but then again flats of Budweiser were really cheap back then
so I may have a few facts mixed up ;-)

Anyway, enough ot this typing stuff.  It's nice out so I'm going to take
the A for a spin.  Have fun, Y'all!

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA