Recond. wire wheels?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Recond. wire wheels?
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 09:50:43 -0400
Hello list,

Three of my tubes now leak. I'm fairly certain it's due to pieces of rust
rubbing between the tubes and tires. The wheels are rusty on the inside.
I'd like to clean them up myself.

1. Can this be done with a wire brush without damage to the spoke ends?

2. Is there some type of lubrication that must then be put on the spoke ends?

3. Should I spray or brush a rust stopper on the rim before painting? Note,
the parts of the wheels that are normally visible are in great shape
consmetically, so I do not intend to respray them.

4. Is there a source for the big rubber band that fits around the rim (to
protect the tube from the spoke ands)? Or is there a substitute (a pieces
of an old tube?)

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright                          '65 Sprite Mk III (funfunfun)
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision       '47 Cessna 140 (in pieces)
http://www.emory.edu/molvis             '87 Horizon (pick-up with full cab)
        http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html