Re: 14" TD wheels

To: mgs4dave@warwick.net
Subject: Re: 14" TD wheels
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 11:20:33 EDT
Dave,
  A couple of years ago I made a number of calculations about tire sizes,
rear axle ratios, rpms/mile, rpms/mph, etc.  I found that the tire size
makes a large difference. If you could tell me what tire size you now
have, I could look up on the chart and see if a different tire might help
with your question. Or, if you send me a fax number, I could fax over the
table for you.
  I ended up with a 4.1 rear, and 5.60x15 Firestone bias ply tires.  Yes,
it's sometimes sluggish in 4th, especially on long hills on secondary
roads, but 3rd is so much more useful that I wish I had made the change
years ago. My car is a MkII, which had the 4.875 gears.   One thing I
found is that my tach was reading high, so when I thought the engine was
flogging in 3rd at 4500, it was really running only 3950, per my electric
tune-up tach.
Bob