Re: Painting Rostyles

To: Hert <hert@worldaccess.nl>
Subject: Re: Painting Rostyles
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 09:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Hert,

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Hert wrote:

I bought the mask from Moss  in Sant barbara and agree that there is
a lot of spray through, however, what I then did was spray the whole
wheel "steel wheel" color with the spray can I got from Pep boys-
around 3 bucks a can, two cans will do all of your wheels including
the spray if I recall. I then masked off all the areas that should
remain steel wheel colored and blasted away with the highest grade of
automotive Black that Pep boys has to offer. I allowed everything to
dry for a day or so, then peeled off the mask and covered everything
with a spray clear coat a couple of times. The results looked quite
acceptable compared with the original situation. There was plenty of
mistakes on the original paint job anyway.

Give this a try, it can't end up worse than the rusted wheels I had to
start with!

Also, isn't the mask only about 9 bux?

off
the areas that were=%OHi Tod & other
listers, =%O =%Oyou wrote =%O =%O    > Todd Mullins
=%O    > Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil  On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast
=%O    >
=%O    > '74 MGB Tourer with freshly painted Rostyles
=%O
=%OCan you give me advice on how to paint these wheels in the correct pattern?
My
=%Oparts suppliers has plastic masks, but these cost a lot and the people who
have
=%Oused these tell me the results are terrible (paint bleeding over parts where
it
=%Oshould not be). Most folks simply paint the whole wheel silver ...
=%O
=%OFor the longer term, I'm still undecided over wires (nice & old fashioned)
or
=%OMinilites (look tough).
=%O
=%OPeter den Hertog
=%O'74 MGB, out on the first sunny day we've had for a month
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II