Re: TD steering rack clunk

To: mgs4dave@warwick.net
Subject: Re: TD steering rack clunk
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 06:30:04 EDT
Hi Dave,
  Have you received any thoughts on this problem?
  I looked into my TD workshop manual out of curiosity, as I have
absolutely no experience with such a problem.    From the illustration it
appears to me that a clunk could be caused only if the shaft is moving
around (obvious) but that it could do that if the male and female ball
seats have worn so that they have slack inside the rack housing, or if
the spring damper assembly isn't doing its damping.  The manual gives
diameters of the rack bar and the pinion shaft, so one supposes it
possible that they have worn smaller.
  In the MGB manual's exploded drawing of the rack, there is a "rack
housing bush" that appears to be fitted at the outboard ends of the rack
housing. Maybe this was an area of wear that was addressed in models
subsequent to the TD.
  If a copy of the MGB drawing would be of use to you, or a copy of the
text in the B manual, send me a fax # or a snail mail address.
Bob