Re: Wire/Rostyle Wheel Painting

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wire/Rostyle Wheel Painting
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:50:30 -0700
I have an endorsement for "Steve Byers"  paint and bake method. Been there done
that!

I have painted both wires and disc wheels with the same technique the results
are excellent and very durable, I think the bake step is the key.

I used the Moss silver wheel paint, though it is perhaps a little on the
expensive side     the results were, to me, worth not having to shop around for
the correct color match.

Having a portable sand blaster, I used an open trash can as my "booth".  It was
not ideal, but it did allow me to work outside and the resulting sand splatter
benefited the yard!       It was a real dirty job, lots and lots or rusty dust
and sand flying, so a dust mask and goggles was a must. It took about 4 hours
to do 6 wheels and I used up one bag of sand. It might be worth paying a shop
to do the blasting, but I got the satisfaction of doing it myself.

I used compressed air to blow any residue off the clean wheels then wiped them
over with paint thinner to remove any grease. Talking of grease, I thoroughly
cleaned any grease/oil from the spline area before sand blasting, this was a
step I introduced after the first wheel, because the hub got a liberal coating
of sand!. Next I lined the six wheels up on old newspaper on my garage floor
then applied light coats of the silver grey paint. I let them dry over night,
then flipped them over and did the same to the other sides. I then used Steve's
recipe for baking at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Pick a day when you can leave
the kitchen windows open wide and an extractor fan on, the paint fumes are
pretty ghastly. I took a vacation day to do this, one when I knew my wife was
gone all day, she still smelled something when she came home and said "Have you
been painting in my kitchen!" I didn't say I had used her oven to bake my
wheels, she would have had a fit!

The wire wheels still look great after a year, I spray clean them with windex
then simple green, let them sit for a while and then hose them off. Just my two
cents worth.  John.

</color>John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.

 ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **

1969 MGBGT;1972 MGB;1973 MGB;1976 MGB;1979 MGB; 1974 MGB daily driver.