Re: HS4 Carb Problem

To: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Subject: Re: HS4 Carb Problem
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:48:04 -0500
karim.marouf@cancom.com wrote:

> I've been trying to rebuild my HS4 carbs. When I put them back on the car
> last night and tried starting it, the motor immediately reved to 4000 rpm. I
> had the throttle stops backed all the way off, so I suspect that I've got a
> big vacuum leak somewhere.

I'd guess you replaced the throttle shafts or at least removed the throttle
butterfly disks and now you have refitted them such that it does not seal very
well with the throttle closed. Obviously you should make sure the throttle
return springs are replaced on the proper mounts (and not mixed with the choke
return springs).

Did you buy the carb rebuild kit? Did the jet in the carb kit not look like the
illustration in the parts manuals? I had a problem like that with an old Midget.
The jet in the rebuild kit was junk and I had to turn right around and spend $15
(ea) to buy new jets. The good ones have the brass fittings to the float bowl
and the gas line is wrapped with a coil spring like the originals. The crappy
ones are mostly plastic with cheap rubber hoses and don't slide up into the carb
as easily.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"If all the blondes riding in Corvettes were laid end-to-end, I wouldn't be at