Re: Body Panel??

To: "John Hughes" <1313@pop3.connectnet.com>
Subject: Re: Body Panel??
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 15:06:33 +0000
I have rust in that area of my '65, though just a few flecks. There is a
half-height repair panel sold for this (Moss, VB, etc). From my limited
research (on web and local AH club), the best thing to do is buy the panels
and take them plus car to a good metal person, have him cut out the old and
weld in the new, then take it to a good body shop for a respray (even if
only a partial respray). The estimate I got from a locally recognized metal
guru for the welding and grinding was $200 labor for two A panels and four
wheel well panels. I thought that that was reasonable.

Good luck,

Jeff

>       Hello all,
>I just purchaesed a '65 Sprite, and think that it will be one of
>many over time. I have found everyones questions and comments
>informing and humorous(only when they are meant to be). Now for
>my first question to all you out there experienced with Sprites.
>There is a narrow verticle strip  panel in between the door and
>front fender which is rusted out, on the bottom, on both
>sides(I understand this to be common). I have not had time to
>really inspect it (only enough to know that it is the only rust
>on the whole car and that it is the original red paint....only
>sorta "red" now), my question is...do those panels have the
>ability to unbolt and be replaced or will I have to cut and weld
>new steel in those places( DON"T mention Bondo, or any other
>type of body filler please, this car has somehow made it 32
>years without the slightest dab of it, I wont be the one to
>start it now). I have the Moss motors catalog (downloaded from
>the internet) and seems a bit vague, as well as missing a few
>pages( its that way from their site, nothing to do with body
>panels).
>               Any Help and or opinions or experiences will be
>greatly apreciated
>                          John Hughes

Jeff Boatright
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision