Heater/defroster controls

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Heater/defroster controls
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 21:23:26 -0500 (EST)
I am closing in on the end of my five year rebuild, but the devil Mowog and
the evil Lucas apparently do not want to see my car on the road.

I think I know the answer, but the question anyhow.  Are the heater temp and
defroster mechanism different?  They look pretty much the same.  I did have the
heater temp mechanism marked, but I install them reverse, heat temp control on
right instead of left.  When I realized the cables were not going the right way
for the controls, I spent 2 hours switching the face plates.  Of course you
have to take everything apart to do that.  After they were all back together, I
realized one has click stops while the other doesn't.  They are also turning
backward from the direction the control face plates.
(Almost forgot, the car is a 74 MGB)

It looks like I have to switch the mechanisms now.  Somebody confirm this
before I start again.  I am 6'3" 220# with big hands and working under the dash
 Thanks in advance.