Re: Heater controls

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Heater controls
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:52:36 -0500 (CDT)
ROBERT G. HOWARD writes:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 12:28:58 -0500 (EST) RAY WYGONIK
> <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu> writes:

>  Yes, the knob with the clicks is the heater/defroster etc.

More accurately, it is the ventilation distribution knob.  Three
positions:  Off, Interior, and Defrost.  It controls the air flap at the
bottom of the heater.

> Neither of
> my Bs has ever had the words align with the function, however,

How could they not?  The three studs on the faceplate and the three
holes on the backing bracket are asymmetrically arranged, such that they
can only be put together one way.  Additionally, the mechanism has
dimples that match holes in the backing bracket to ensure positive
location.  Although this is way too much detail to go into for the sake
of a simple ventilation control, the design is almost foolproof, and I
don't understand how they can be assembled incorrectly.

> so
> switching the cables may be as far as one can go before law of diminish
> returns (and of shed blood) activates.

(??)

> >At the moment I have them switched.  The arrows on the face plates do
> >not jive
> >with the direction the knobs turn, and I am not getting full movement
> >on the
> >valve that controls flow of the coolant to the heater box.

Two different issues.  Full movement of the temperature control could be
a maladjustment or a defective cable, or perhaps a damaged mechanism,
though that's unlikely as the units are pretty robust.

The temperature control rotates clockwise from "Off" to "Hot", and the
ventilation distribution control rotates counter-clockwise (with the
aforementioned clicks) from "Off" (straight up) to "Interior" (straight
left) to "Defrost" (straight down).  If you have the faceplates
mismatched, they're obviously not going to correlate.

> The MGB heater controls cause one to admire the basic simplicity of the
> TD heater. There was none when the cars left Abington.

I have no problem with the MGB heater controls, and am surprised that
someone else would find them overly complex.  They're certainly simpler
than the various vacuum-operated flaps on the Volvo...

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with fully functional climate control